Monday 2 September 2019

Monday, 02-09-19

Good morning!
I now have eleven days based at home so enough time to really dig in deep and make a difference.

The chilli yesterday really worked well and we both enjoyed it, Dad and I.  Runner beans went very well with it too and it's so satisfying to use my own chillies.

Today's plans are . . .
B:  tomatoes on toast
SW:  my healthy extra B for the wholemeal bread and three syns for half a tbsp olive oil.

L:  frittata or crustless quiche (more or less the same thing really!) with tomato relish and a side salad
I have mushrooms, baby corn and pepper to use up so they can all go in and I expect I will make a bigger one and have some tomorrow as well.
I add quark to the egg mixture.  It adds to the flavour and texture.  Then I can save my healthy extra A cheese for the top.
The salad will heavily feature tomatoes and cucumber, both from the garden and so nice and frugal.
SW:  I'll probably use four healthy extra As in this, expecting to have some tomorrow as well - two today and two tomorrow. Also, the salad dressing will be three syns and I'll have used up all my home made dressing so I'd better make some more.  It may be cooler this morning but salad season isn't over yet!

D:  after digging into my freezer, I will have a lamb leg steak with runner beans and roasted tomatoes followed by fruit and yogurt.
SW:  hopefully, free as I make the mint sauce with garden mint and balsamic vinegar, both of which are free and if it needs a bit of sweetness, I can use stevia.
In fact, my mint needs a good pick back so I might make a batch as it's quite nice with cold meat and in dressings too.

And I must remember - I am aiming for the best!

Edit.  With that in mind, I have changed the banner - it seems more positive, this one.

4 comments:

  1. Sounding good, Joy. I haven't looked in your recipes for it but interested in how you make your mint sauce? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just for that meal, I just chop some mint, add some white wine or balsamic vinegar and then taste and season. Sometimes I fancy a bit of soy sauce added as well. If I make some for long term, I make a syrup with equal amounts of caster sugar, white wine vinegar and balsamic vinegar with a bit of salt, heat them gently until the sugar disolves and then allow to cool. Prepare the mint by washing it well, removing the stalks and drying the leaves thoroughly before chopping them, packing them into a very clean jar and covering them with the cooled vinegar. It keeps for around a year, treated properly.
      xx

      Delete
    2. Thanks Joy I'll try that next time I cook lamb x

      Delete
  2. Oh yum, I love lamb steaks - with mint sauce, of course. Our tomatoes STILL aren't ready - infuriating really, we have loads and loads of them but they're stubbornly refusing to colour up at the mo. At this rate we'll have to start thinking about bringing them indoors to ripen up gradually.

    ReplyDelete