Wednesday 4 September 2019

Wednesday, 03-09-19

Good morning!

Yesterday's photo diary looks like this.
A simple, easy, delicious cooked breakfast.  I've started using a tsp olive oil to fry the bacon (it is less dry that way) and then I use the resulting flavoured oil for the tomatoes.  Well worth two syns for the extra flavour.  It surprises me how a little bit has so much impact.








By the time I got back from aqua, it was too late to make the sweet potato fries (because I was hungry!) so I just had the same as yesterday - quiche and salad, followed by a yogurt for half a syn.

I underestimated how much later I would need to make dinner after such a late lunch and I was so very tired that I changed my plans.  I used the pitta as I'd defrosted it, opened it, spread some light mayo over the inside, sliced the feta and add that to make a sort of sandwich and had that with tomatoes on the side.  Not what I had planned but actually still well within SW parameters and it was really satisfying.  I finished off with fruit and a yogurt.

Today's plans:
B:  mushroom omelette and fried tomatoes
Fairly simple but tasty and filling and loaded with speed food.
SW:  Just four syns for two tsps olive oil, one for the omelette and one for the tomatoes.  You could use spray oil instead and cut those syns but this is part of my drive to up my healthy oils a little bit.

L:  roasted sweet potato and carrot soup, tomatoes on the side; apple
Looking out of the window at the lashing rain, I reckon I have timed this one right.  It's from Easy Cook, p 38, slightly adapted by using spray oil and cutting down on the créme fraiche.
SW:  one and a half syns for one level tbsp half fat créme fraiche

D:  refried bean quesadillas, salsa, salad; fruit and natural yogurt
Another Easy Cook recipe, adapted by cutting the oil, making my own salsa (this bit will also make it much more frugal) and using half fat créme fraiche instead of soured cream
SW:  one healthy extra A for 40g grated cheddar (might use more, I need to see what it looks like when I assemble it), one B for the wrap and three syns for two level tbsp créme fraiche.
I know I seem to be using a lot of créme fraiche but, having rather miraculously found a tub in Morrison's, I need to use it.

Looking over the plans for today, they seem to be pretty frugal, don't they, despite sounding a bit fancy.  No expensive protein!  It's also a non-meat day, not something I was thinking of when I planned but OK by me - I don't have enough of them really.

Ss:  tomatoes (I still have loads and there's more ready for picking when the rain stops).

Body magic:  Aqua was good yesterday and I did a bit of up and down swimming afterwards, just to let the queue for the showers die down.  I've booked another one on Friday.  Today I have to hang around as the car is in for its MOT/major service so I will just be more active at home.  Maybe I can find something energetic on YouTube.  Does anyone have any favourites they could let me know about, please?

I weighed this morning and, while I haven't totally undone the damage done last week before I 'put my foot down with a firm hand', as the saying goes, I have sorted out most of it, so I'm very pleased about that.

Still aiming for the best!



8 comments:

  1. Those cooked tomatoes do look nice, although I confess I have a bit of a 'thing' about cooked tomato skins, they put me off a bit. It's surprising the difference even a little bit of oil makes to the taste, isn't it. Last week I'd fried some bacon in a splash of oil and then left the oil in the pan ready to fry some veg in, to soak up the lovely bacony taste....and then husband decided to be 'helpful' and wiped out the pan with kitchen paper and threw it away before washing the pan up! He said I didn't tell him....no I didn't, but then I didn't tell (or expect) him to wash the pan up either. Ho hum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no! Poor man - trying to be helpful and it backfired. What a shame to lose all that flavour - so poor you too!
      Tomato skins don't bother me but when I make the salsa I will peel them first. A bit fiddly as they are so small but definitely worth it, I think, for the texture.

      Delete
  2. Love cooked breakfast with freshly fried toms. Our WW leader told us to throw away frylite and use oil or nothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get on OK with fry light for some things. I softened my mushrooms in frylight in the end, just using one tsp of olive oil for the tomatoes which adds deliciousness to deliciousness.
      I might use the other tsp for roasting the veg for lunch.
      I feel it has its uses but not as the sole source of oil. When I had the gall bladder problems,it was worth its weight!
      xx

      Delete
  3. Morning Joy. Keeping on keeping on there. Did I ever say that I use Sizzola instead of Frylight? I ruined so many pans with it; Sizzola is a rapeseed spray, I only use a few spritzes for two of us for a few calories so I don't syn it. It doesn't seem to taste of anything and certainly no aftertaste. Some supermarkets also make their own spray oils which vary in syns but no more and I think less than real oils. But I do think we need some essential fats for tissue health and repair so your decision is a sensible one. I worry that when hubby cooks, which I'm lucky he does, if I let the oil back in he loves to use a good glug! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning, Lyn. I've not heard of that brand but will keep my eyes open, thanks. I agree that some oil is essential and I am really comfortable with my decision to allow some back into my plans.
      xx

      Delete
  4. Looks yummy, Joy.
    I've not done much in the way of meals this week. Husband was a bit under the weather and just wanted to snack through the day rather than eat a whole meal. We've had a fish finger sandwich, toast with tomatoes and Parmesan and today we had soup. Trouble is, I've snacked a bit too much in between . Oh dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand. Sometimes I don't get up the energy to follow nthrough on my planning and skip things and that's when I start nibbling and snacking. It's just too easy to do that from time to time.
      I hope he's feeling better now.
      xx

      Delete