Tuesday 11 July 2023

Tuesday, 11-07-23

Good morning, everyone.
I was watching someone's vlog yesterday.  This lady does Slimming World and she was explaining how it all worked.  She was going through some of the 'free' foods (they don't need counting but they're not speed foods so go sensibly) and she said 'spelt'.  That made me sit up as I have recently started using spelt in my bread making and thought that it was a healthy extra B.  So I got out my book and checked and, lo and behold, spelt is indeed a free food.
So - if I make some dough (for example) with spelt and yeast (half a syn for a level tsp), I could use it as a pizza base, could I?  Yes, I'd have to syn and sugar and oil that I use but if I use yogurt as part of the liquid, I shouldn't need oil.

What do you think?

(and here's the link to the vlog, in case you like following SW-ers  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVeu1vEPgZ0  )

Anyway, pondering aside, I am trying to increase my consumption of whole foods, plant based stuff, minimally processed, etc, and have spelt in the cupboard so I am going to give it a go and see.  Tonight's pizza might be lovely or it might be a disaster!  I'll let you know.
And if it works, I will try a loaf made just with spelt flour!

Yesterday's photos:

A very nice breakfast for a sunny morning.
This was good too.  I added some edamame beans to the mix and the whole thing was dee-licious!

Later on, I had an orange
Cheesy chips round the outside and jazzed up cajun mince with yogurt in the middle.  And I scoffed the lot - so delicious.

Afters was yogurt and raspberries.



Today's plans:

B:  bacon, mushrooms and tomatoes
(edited from original because I decided I fancied it more)
SW:  syn free

L:  salmon, lemon mayo, salad; fruit
A great favourite at this time of year.
SW:  one syn for the lemon mayo

D:  bacon and mushroom pizza with a spelt and yogurt base (worth a go anyway!!), salad; yogurt
As mentioned above, I am using the spelt as a free food, rightly or wrongly.  
SW:  one healthy extra A for cheese, half a syn for one tsp yeast and half a syn for half tsp sugar (because the recipes I have seen ask for sugar) - no oil.  I think the rest will all be free or speed.

Exercise:  Groove

Summary:
one heathy extra A
no healthy extra Bs
two syns (or more, depending on spelt values)

2 comments:

  1. I've been looking at low carb recipes for pizza bases as now and then it's just got to be pizza. Nothing else will do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cherie, while spelt is not low carb, I think, this really, really worked and I enjoyed the nicest pizza I have had in a very long while. It was just gorgeous!
      Happy hunting. xx

      Delete