Sunday 20 August 2023

Sunday, 20-08-23

 Good morning, everyone.

I got busy yesterday, turning some of my garden tomatoes into a really lovely roasted tomato and red pepper sauce.
It was so easy.

I roasted chopped garden tomatoes, onion, a large roasted red pepper from a jar and three peeled garlic cloves in spray oil at around 180C, adding a splash of water half way through because I wanted roastiness but not dryness.
When the veg had charred nicely, I popped the lot in the blender and zizz3ed it until smooth and then pushed it through a sieve to make it totally smooth.
I didn't season - I thought it would be better to add seasonings needed at point of use.
I now have five pots of the stuff in the freezer to use as sauce in various ways - for example, I have planned a sort of hunter's chicken this coming week and will use a pot in that.

And it is completely SW happy and 100% speed food.  Perfick!

Yesterday's meal photos:

Breakfast was two apple and an orange, eaten during a walk through the city parks.

Very odd lighting but this is the hm pizza and salad and it was really good.
And yes,l I used Christmas pasta shapes - I really do need to use them up.
The Philly light and peanut butter powder sauce was gorgeous.  I added enough chilli flakes to give just a hint of heat hum on the tongue.

Dessert was an orange.

First day of the new SW week and I had to battle sundry temptations, especially late afternoon, but all's good and I stayed within my plans.
Today's plans:

B:  bacon and tomatoes on a bagel
An old childhood favourite; my brother and I used to call it B&T.  Mum bought split tomatoes from the nursery a few doors down, very cheaply, and we just loved it.  Of course, today it won't be streaky bacon, cooked until crisp with the tomatoes fried in the bacon fat - happy sigh - but it will still be delicious!
On Friday, I had a go at making some bagels.  The kind you can buy that SW call a B choice are very hard to get hold of and, as I make my own bread, etc, and call it B without any worries, I reckoned I could do the same with bagels.  I thought they were going to be complicated but they're not really; the shaping and different way of baking them was fun.  I doubt I will be looking for bagels in the shops again now.
I made these with wholemeal flour, some mixed grain flour and some mixed seeds sprinkled over the top before baking.  
And, having taken one out to defrost, from now on I will halve them before freezing, like the ones you can buy.  That way, I can toast them from frozen!
SW:  one healthy extra B for the toasted bagel

L:  roast chicken dinner; fruit
I have some chicken leg joints in the freezer so I will dig one out and have it with all the usual goodies - roasted parsnip, sweet potato, broccoli, etc.
(I'm really looking forward to sprouts coming back into the shops in the next few months)
I'm going to make a larger amount of roasted veg - sweet potato, parsnip, carrot, courgette, onion, tomatoes and apple (in the oven as I will have the oven on for the chicken rather than using Nellie, I think) plus some garlic and seasoning.
Then I can take off half for dinner and have the rest with the chicken for lunch.  I've also prepped broccoli and some corn on the cob.
SW:  syn free

D:  yorkshire pudding wrap with sausages and roasted veg; fruit/yogurt
I made a Yorkshire 'wrap' during one of my Pinch of Nom weeks and said then I would be having it again soon.   I plan to wrap it round the rest of that roasted veg sauce, maybe with added pepper and mushroom, some chilli and a couple of nice Morrisons chipolatas and, maybe, dunk it in some crucials bbq or brown sauce (not sure about that though.
SW:  two and a half syns for 15g plain flour (either white or wholemeal) and part of an A for some milk, four syns for the sausages and one syn for some sauce.

Exercise:  rest day

Summary:
part of a healthy extra A
one healthy extra B
seven and a half syns

2 comments:

  1. Your food plans sound lovely, as always. Roasting veggies really brings out a lovely slightly charred and sweet flavour, doesn't it? Yes I can't wait for fresh sprouts either, but in the meantime I've taken to roasting frozen ones - I do it straight from frozen, don't bother defrosting - and they are actually quite nice. Certainly better than boiled, frozen ones just go so mushy when boiled. Ooh, enjoy your delicious sounding wrap! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of that - I don't like the way frozen sprouts go so soggy and mushy either. Thanks, Sooze. Now, where did I put my next shopping list?

      I love roasted veg - the caramelisation works wonders with the flavour. Better with more oil but, dear me, we can't have everything, can we? xx

      Delete