Sunday 18 June 2023

Sunday, 18-06-23

Good morning, everybody!


Yesterday's photos:

Brunch rather than breakfast and, followed by a nectarine and a plum, really tasty and satisfying.
Perhaps I ought to do a two meal a day thing a bit more often . . .
Just before I left for the workshop, and having baked some wholemeal rolls (because I am tired of rather tasteless bought rolls that work as a B), I had to test taste one, didn't I.  It's today's healthy extra B so keeps me on-plan and it was absolutely scrummy.
I'll post the recipe at the bottom.

There were cakes - and biscuits - at the workshop.  I had a couple of the latter and they were delicious.
I don't think I have broken the syn bank.

Not a particularly complicated or fancy dinner but very tasty and filling.  It was followed by a yogurt and that was that.

Today's plans:

B:  fruit platter and yogurt
SW:  half a syn if I have a Mullerlight

L:  cheese, bacon and chutney toastie, salad; fruit
Just what it says.
SW:  up to two healthy extra As, one healthy extra B and one and a half syns

D:  steak, onion gravy, wedges, peas; yogurt
Today is Father's Day in the UK.  My Dad passed away on June 26th two years ago so this evening I am having one of his favourite meals, one he often asked me to make for him in the years after Mum was no longer able to cook.  He very kindly said I did a very good steak!
So no lunchtime Sunday roast this week.
And I am thinking of everyone reading this who misses their Dad today.  xxx
SW:  an estimated two syns for the gravy and half a syn for the yogurt (because I am not indulging in crackers and stilton, his favorite afters!)

Exercise:  rest day

Summary:
two healthy extra As
one healthy extra B
four and a half syns

Ingredients:
250g strong wholemeal
100g strong white
100g wholemeal SR (I know, not strong flour, but it really works and makes for a lighter crumb without losing flavour and fibre)
50g spelt flour (it was an experiment - when I've used up the bag of spelt, I will try rye instead, I think)
1.5 tsp instant yeast
1.5 tsp salt
1 tbsp brown sugar (I use demerara because that's closest to my hand!)
40g oil (any kind - I might try toasted sesame next time)
300 g lukewarm water.
1 tbsp mixed seeds (maybe a bit more!)

I'm assuming you know the method - mix dry ingredients, add water, mix and knead to elastic dough, rise, knock back, shape, prove, bake.

I measured the dough into around 70g portions to shape.  When cooked, because of evaporation, etc, each roll was between 60 and 65g which fits nicely into the healthy extra B category - I think so, anyway.

When I bake, I always preheat the oven as high as it will go and, just before putting the bread in, reduce it to 180C.  That saves me having to remember to turn the oven down after ten minutes, something I can forget.
The rolls took fifteen minutes, then I turned them over, turned the oven off and gave them another five minutes in the slowly cooling oven.

I'm not sure I will ever buy another wholemeal roll.  The one I sampled was absolutely delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment