Thursday 22 June 2023

Thursday, 22-06-23

Good morning, everybody!

Two books!

This is the first one.  The author is well known for his TV work and this book is fascinating.
It's quite heavy in content, although written in a very readable and anecdotal way with technical vocabulary either explained or stated more accessibly); my usual habit of skim reading isn't helping and I have to keep stopping and re-reading because I have lost the thread but it's worth it.
I haven't got very far with it yet; I only bought it yesterday (for my Kindle) but I keep picking it up and reading on.
What it's about is on the front cover and, while I'm not going to turn all evangelical about the issue, I will just say that it seems to answer a lot of my personal 'food' focused 'why?' thoughts and concerns and makes me extremely glad that I have the time, the means, the skills and the desire to cook pretty much all my meals from scratch each day.
If you are concerned about what you're putting into your body and want to eat healthily and well, you might appreciate this book.  I certainly am.

Here's the other.
Pre ordered ages ago and arriving at some point today, the very latest Pinch of Nom book focuses on budget meals and I can't wait to get my mitts on it.  This is a 'proper' book and I do like their recipes.  A lot of what I cook is derived from PoN ideas and I feel a 'Week on Pinch of Nom' coming on.





Yesterday's photos:



I enjoyed this so much and it felt so 'healthy'.  Home made bread and no processed stuff.  So delicious!
I planned to have mushrooms on the side but decided it was enough as it was.
Lovely lunch.  I just had beetroot rather than a full salad and I was full.  I do like beetroot.
The quiche has two eggs, ham, onion, mushroom, seasonings and finely grated cheese.

I had a banana later on, just before I went off to Personal Training, for a bit extra energy.

Just a bog standard pasta bake but it is easy to forget just how tasty these basic recipes can be.
For dessert I had strawberries and 2% yogurt and this time that really was it for the day.


Today's plans:

B:  fruit and yogurt
A banana before the online SET class and I have loadsa fruit to use up.
SW:  syn free

L:  salad wrap and pickles; fruit
Sometimes it is nice to just have something basic and today I really fancy just a salad wrap made with salad cream.  Nice and crunchy!
SW:  one healthy extra B and up to two syns worth of salad cream

D:  salmon, roasted veg; yogurt
I seem to be having a 'plain' day today.  That's OK.  Plain is good!
SW:  half a syn for yogurt

Exercise:  online SET class

Summary:
no healthy extra As
one healthy extra B
two and a half syns 

2 comments:

  1. I'm currently reading Ultra-Processed people too. I know what you mean about the heavier parts, I'm glad I'd watched a few interviews on YouTube first it's helped to keep my focus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very interesting, isn't it. And I've never heard Pringles described as 'hyperbolic paraboloids' before (I had to look up hyperbolic).
      I did exactly the same thing - saw podcasts and decided I wanted to read the book. xx

      Delete