Sunday 28 July 2019

Recipe: Chubby Cubs inspired 'Cajun beef dirty rice'

I started with the recipe (link below) on their site (scroll down to find it) and adapted it to work with what I had to use/use up so it's not really theirs any more, nor is it mine, it is a collaboration!
http://twochubbycubs.com/2019/06/02/cajun-steak-dirty-rice/


I used:
one sizzle steak, cut into chunks
two bacon medallions, cut into chunks
nearly a whole medium onion, diced
half a thin leek, sliced across
one smallish carrot, peeled and grated (easier than dicing)
some green beans, topped, tailed and cut into small bits for quicker cooking
half a red pepper, deseeded and diced
a couple of baby corn, sliced across
3 mushrooms diced
some cooked edamame beans (from the freezer)
spray oil
2 tsp cajun spice mix
1 tsp Lea and Perrins
garlic granules
one red wine stock pot
200 mls water
one pouch of posh microwaveable rice (for convenience)

I sprayed a non stick wok and cooked the steak until it was just pink (very quick), then removed it to a bowl.
I resprayed the wok and added the onion and bacon.  When that was softening/cooked, I added  all the other veg plus some garlic granules and gave them a good stir before spooning in the cajun spice and the Lea and Perrins.
I fried all that on fairly high for a minute, stirring all the time, to 'cook out' the spices.
Then I added the red wine stock pot and 200 mls of water.  I mixed it well until it was boiling, reduced the heat, covered the pan and let it simmer for ten minutes.  Then I uncovered the pan, turned up the heat again and stirred while most of the remaining liquid boiled away.

I microwaved the pouch of rice according to the instructions, tipped it into the wok and mixed it in well.

And that was it.  Quick and easy, spicy and delicious



 I served it with some chopped spring onions sprinkled over.
It made enough for three of my portions with some green veg on the side.  One for now and two for the freezer!


No comments:

Post a Comment