Wednesday 24 July 2019

Wednesday, 24-07-19

Good morning.

First of all, a recommendation.  It's Aldi's own brand - world wide foods quinoa. pumpkin and sunflower seed wholegrain rice, bought in sachets for microwave heating, two good portions per sachet, three if you're being a bit more frugal or careful, three and a half syns for the lot and, frankly, it is scrumptious.  I had some to accompany a home made vegetable curry and it was so good it's on the list for next time I go.
I can't find the price on My Supermarket but it can't be that expensive or I wouldn't buy it!
It was quite nice to not have to cook rice from scratch on such a hot evening and I'd never make such a tasty combination anyway.
If you like fancy rice, this is well worth giving a go.

The curry I made to go with the rice was lovely too but I didn't consider Slimming World while I was making it - after all, I have a guest this week.
It wasn't a recipe but this is what I did.
I softened onion, carrot, new potato and parsnip (all chunked) for a while, then added chunks of frozen butternut squash.  Then I spooned in some Patak korma paste with some cumin, coriander and garlic granules and cooked it out.  Then I added veg stock powder, black pepper and water and let it simmer.
Then in went some peas, broccoli bits, sweet corn and edamame beans plus some lentils and oats (for flavour and thickening) and some coconut milk powder.  I tasted and adjusted and let it all simmer down a bit until the vegetables were all soft and the sauce was thick.
It would be nice with chopped tomatoes but that's one of the things my friend can't have.
It was delicious and would be great for using up fridge rubble.  Really, you can add anything appropriate to it.

Today's plans:
B:  banana oat pancakes with fruit and yogurt
SW:  Half a healthy extra B for the oats (I'm sharing them with my friend).  It's only fair to say that the banana gets all mushed up and SW wisdom says that if fruit is pureed or mashed (or stewed) it should be synned.  Regular readers will know my opinion on that bit of  - er - well, yes - so no synning for me.  It's a measured amount after all.  No change of overdosing on banana!

L:   at the moment I'm thinking of frittata with onion, broccoli and smoked salmon - another useful recipe that accommodates all sorts of food limitations.  With a salad.
SW:  I won't be using cheese (another no-no) so just a few syns for any salad dressing.

D:  fish and chips
No batter on the fish (boooo) and the chips are home made.  With it, maybe peas, maybe coleslaw and maybe salad.
SW:  syns for any salad dressing

Ss:  lots of water

Body magic:  If it's as hot as they say it will be - as little as possible!

Really sorry it is all rather vague this week.  I know I'm not strictly following SW but there are reasons and it's got to work in the Real World where it's not always possible to have just what I want and when I want it.
I'm doing my best and I think it's OK.  :-)



2 comments:

  1. As always,Joy, I completely agree with your views on SW tweaks and rules, same here, if I had 100% food optimised I'd have got there ages ago but also might have given up. I like your fridge 'rubble' description and how you make your curry. I didn't go to weigh last night as I've picked up a nasty cold and cough, probably from airplane and 2 hours waiting in Gatwick baggage reclaim so really didn't feel well enough. I know I'm getting rid of the holiday lbs though. Enjoy having your friend to stay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is important to make it all work for you as an individual. We all find out what works for us and, after all, if we 'play the system', we are the biggest losers!
      Sorry you are feeling rough but well done for being back on track and dealing with that holiday weight!
      xx

      Delete