Sunday 28 July 2019

Recipe: sticky chicken

You can find this on the Slimming World site but, as I was making my own version years and years before I discovered Slimming World, I have no guilty pangs about sharing it (my version) here.


Ingredients to serve one:  two and a half syns (that's for the honey)
one chicken breast, cut into chunks
one tbsp each of honey, soy sauce (I use the lower sodium version) and balsamic vinegar
between half to one tsp Lea and Perrins (to own taste)
a shake of garlic granules

Method.
A couple of hours before required, mix up the sauce ingredients in a non-metallic bowl, chuck in the chicken and mix well.  Cover and leave to marinate.

When it's time, heat up a non stick pan.
Tip in the lot - sauce and chicken.
Bring to a hard boil and allow it to boil away and thicken.  Keep stirring!  In the time it takes to thicken, the chicken will cook.
Don't leave it - the difference between dark, sticky and gorgeous and burnt/bitter is a fine one.

I had mine with salad but it would be nice with rice, with mash or couscous, pasta, veg, whatever really.  It's extremely tasty for such a simple thing.

I also used to do it this way.
Don't cut up the chicken.  Just marinade it in the sauce.  Tip it all onto some foil and wrap it into a parces.  Cook in a 180C oven for about half an hour, then turn up the oven to hot, unwrap the parcel and pop it back in the oven for about five minutes for the sauce to thicken.  As above, be careful it doesn't actually burn.


No comments:

Post a Comment