Sunday 27 January 2019

Personal review: SW meatballs and pasta in a spicy tomato and herb sauce.

Disclaimer:  I'm not being paid or rewarded in anyway for reviewing SW foods from Iceland.  I bought it myself with my own money and there's no pressure from anyone or anywhere to be overly positive (or negative).


First of all I need to say that portions are mega huge!  I didn't even try to finish this one.  OK, I had a salad with it which I also couldn't finish) and a bit of finely grated cheese over the top but even so, it was far too much.  I'd be happy to have 2/3 the amount at 2/3 the price.
No, I didn't NEED to have a salad but I wanted extra speed and I didn't HAVE to have the cheese but, as it happened, I'm glad I did.

Unfortunately, this meal didn't appeal at all.  The meatballs were fine although too big and a bit solid but the sauce tasted rather nasty - over-the-top dried-herby and very synthetic.  Looking at the ingredients, this might be partly because it has basil as one of the herbs and I really don't like basil but it wasn't just that.  I also felt the sauce was too thin so I added some tomato puree.  I like my tomato sauces to taste juicy and really rich and tomato-ey and this just wasn't.  The cheese helped but didn't compensate really.

So no, not a winner for me.  However, the recipe on the back looks much more promising as I can change the herb balance, make the meatballs smaller and less dense and instead of spinach, I would prefer peppers, mushrooms and so on.

Not one I will be ever having again, unfortunately.

(I'll have the rest of the salad tomorrow - waste not . . .)


2 comments:

  1. Oh well, at least you can make your own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can, yes, and I will. The recipe says it makes enough for four so that could very well be five rather than four. As soon as I have room in the freezer again, I will have a go at knocking up some of the wrapper recipes. I suspect that they won't cost that much more for four (or five) than a single ready portion for one costs).
      xx

      Delete