Saturday 26 January 2019

Personal review: SW pork, sage and butternut squash sausages

I'd better start by saying I'm not being paid or rewarded in anyway for reviewing SW foods from Iceland.  I bought it all myself with my own money and there's no pressure to be overly positive (or negative).

So - sausages.  They are SW free, 123 calories per 100g and 3.1g fat

I'm a bit of a sausage fusspot.  The ones I really go for are from a butcher's near my parents' house, Bob Chapman's of Baldock.  They are made on the premises from locally sourced ingredients and they are to die for.  Normally I don't buy any others.

I had two of the SW pork, sage and squash sausages for breakfast, sprayed with a little oil and baked in the oven.
They have a fine, close texture, pretty smooth really, but not as solid as I expected which was good.  The skins are not thick so weren't intrusive.

Like most sausages, they smelled really good as they were cooking but the taste didn't live up to the aroma.  They could have done with more spice, more seasoning, more ooomph generally although they were not unpleasant, just not anything special.  A dollop of brown sauce would have helped, I expect, and I could say that about most sausages!

I reckon they will be good cut into meatball sized bits and cooked in a spicy tomato sauce or mixed with some breadcrumbs, minced onion and extra sage to make a stuffing, sliced in a quiche or on top of a wrap pizza, served in a bun with some sauted onions or in a wrap with a flavoursome chutney.

I think I will keep a bag of them in the freezer because it's a useful thing to have but I could quite happily manage without them..

Oh - and they are not cheap - 50p each!   Caveat emptor!




28-01-19  Important edit.  I have discovered that they are very much nicer fried in spray oil and eaten with some baked beans!  I really enjoyed the one I had for breakfast this morning


2 comments:

  1. That's a bit of a disappointment, Joy, you'd think they'd make more of an effort to get the flavour right. Out of interest, what's the pork percentage content? I presume they've cut down on the amount of pork, adding the squash to reduce the fat and calorie content.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, Sooze. I'll try to remember to look next time I gety something out of the freezer (which is in the shed).
      Some people think they are lovely. :-)
      xx

      Delete