Friday 11 January 2019

Recipe: Slimming World friendly calzone/pasty

Slimming World is great if you like adapting recipes and ideas to make them work in the plan.
A real, geniune calzone is a sort of Italian pasty, laden with calories and pretty much out of reach for the dedicated slimmer most of the time.

This isn't the same, of course, but it is a tasty substitute.  It's not original - you can see the idea anywhere where SW is the focus but I'd not tried it until yesterday.

First things first - a WW wrap is counted as a healthy extra B whereas other wraps are not.  I managed to pin some down in the Tescos the other side of town and bought several packs to freeze.  If you use anything else, syn them!

The egg wash does matter - it makes the edges stick together and gives the finished thing that lovely, shine, beautifully baked look - and looks do help in food.  We eat with more than just the sense of taste.

This is what I did:

First, I prepared the filling by softening some finely sliced onion in frylight, then adding some chopped pepper and finely sliced mushroom and half a can of chopped tomatos that I had leftover from the previous day with herbs, a bit of seasoning, some garlic puree and tomato puree.  I let it simmer until it was soft and gooey and thick.

I whisked up an egg,finely grated 30g of strong cheddar (one healthy extra A) and turned the oven on to around 180C

I got the wrap and spooned the filling onto one half.  You can't add an awful lot or it just squidges out when you press round the side.  Then sprinkle the grated cheese over the filling.  Don't let any of the filling get too close to the edge.

Brush the other half of the wrap and all around the edge with the egg.  Carefully fold over the other side until it makes a semi-circle and, with the tines of a fork, press around the edge to seal it.  I had to remove some of the tomato mix which is how I know you can't use too much!

This is what it looks like at this point.  Not a very pretty sight and, yup, the tomato mix did make a bit of a mess, but it was OK by the time it was baked.
You can leave it at this point, if you are making it earlier.  Just place it on the baking sheet you will be using and cover it with easy leave or cling film.

Just before popping it in the oven, brush it all over with more of the beaten egg.  Then bake it for around fifteen to twenty minutes until the wrap has turned lovely and brown and shiny.
Like this . . .

I had it just as it was as I was tired and hungry, but a side salad would be lovely.  You could use fingers but be careful as the inside will be, obviously, very hot!

You could use any filling you fancy.  Over the weekend, I plan to make it again but as a corned beef pasty, using the lower fat corned beef, some onion, some mashed potato, a bit of cheese and maybe some spicy stuff for a bit more ooomph.
To work it out for SW, just syn/count all the separate ingredients.

Footnote:  if you have filling left over, panic not - just use it in something the next day.  I spooned the tomato/vegetable filling into a ramekin, topped it with an egg and baked it in the oven to make a scrummy and surprisingly filling (SW free) breakfast.  Waste not, want not!
(and here it is)



4 comments:

  1. The golden baked version looks amazing, Joy. I shall definitely be doing this! do keep us posted on how you're doing. I lost a pound last Monday, hoping for two this Monday. I'm feeling more focussed than I have for a while so fingers crossed that feeling will remain. I made a mushroom SW quiche last night and have just had a large slice for lunch, adding 3 syns for a bit of relish to liven it up. Dinner this evening may well be the same but with a salad and potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love those crustless quiches; I think they're nicer withouit the pastry, to be honest. Well done on the motivation and fingers crossed for Monday.
      xx

      Delete
  2. I fill mine with left over curry. Wraps are so versatile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea - yes, they are very useful for all sorts of things. I'm planning to use one as a pizza base later on in the week.
      xx

      Delete