Tuesday 22 January 2019

Tuesday, 22-01-19

Good morning!

Photo diary - I forgot to photo breakfast though!


The dinner recipe (curried chicken and cauliflower) was OK, nice enough but nothing special.  I jazzed it up with some yellow pepper, onion and sweetcorn, all of which needed using up, and that helped to give it more flavour.  Because of those additions, it made loads, most of which were vegetables, so I cheerfully scoffed the lot.  They say 'feed a cold', don't they?

Today's plans
B:  scrambled eggs on toast, fruit
Easy and quick and I like it!
SW:  half a healthy extra B for the toast

L:  bean and veg soup or tomato soup.  Bread for dunking.
I have both soups in the freezer in the freezer.so I will probably see which Beth fancies as she's round for lunch.
SW  the other half B for the toast

D:  Mexican chicken stew.
Another from the Take 5 book and it looks warming and spicy.  I may add extra veg and I may sub the required paprika with some of my home mixed cajun spice because it's very tasty.
Like all their recipes right now, it is loaded up with plenty of vegetables which suits me fine and which generally tends to make it better value
SW:  free

Ss:  cheese to nibble for my healthy extra As, Mullerlight for one syn each, mini-oranges

I was a bit bad yesterday.  At group, people go on about these Iceland SW ready meals and how good they are.  You may have noticed that I'm not a great one for ready meals; I enjoy my cooking too much for a start, but yesterday I made an online order up to the free delivery amount and it's coming on Friday.  That's enough ready meals to make me un-frugal but there you go.

One unusual but very good thing about these meals is that the recipe to make them at home is on the packaging so if there are any that I love, I can more or less reproduce them the more frugal way.  A slight plus point to balance the other.

They're due to arrive Friday teatime so I will build a few into next week's plans and report back.  Have any readers/followers tried any of these.  Do let me know via the comments.


4 comments:

  1. We don't tend to buy ready meals either, like you I love cooking and try to make enough so that I can freeze the extra for a homemade ready meal at a later date. What a great idea to have the recipe on the packaging - how thoughtful of SW, and amazing really when you consider it means that consumers will possibly be making their own and not buying the SW ones in the future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm impressed with that too. It's very useful. SW are very into recipes and home cooking which really appeals to me.
      xx

      Delete
  2. I love SW and WW recipes, it's great they encourage people to cook from scratch. At least people learn that when you cook from scratch you know what goes into your food. I always add tons 9f additional veg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. Some of the most delicious meals I have cooked have been SW recipes. It really works for me.
      xx

      Delete