Saturday 26 January 2019

Personal review: SW nasi goreng

 I'm not being paid or rewarded in anyway for reviewing SW foods from Iceland.  I bought it myself with my own money and there's no pressure from an yone or anywhere to be overly positive (or negative).


Nasi goreng, the wrapping says, is an Indonesian rice dish, spicy but not 'hot'.  The whole portion is just over 400 calories and when I looked at the nutritional information, there were no e numbers, doubtful stuff, etc, rice is the first ingredient, then water, then chicken breast.  Spices include ginger, soy sauce, nutmeg, pepper, chilli, coriander and lime juice.
(the flatbread was an extra, not part of the meal)

I didn't want to microwave it so in the oven it went, from frozen so no problems with remembering to take it out beforehand.  The whole thing took 55 minutes which is quite a long time but not complicated at all with just a bit of stirring ten minutes before the end.

I thought it looked delicious (although not that colourful) and smelled delicious so it had positive impact from the start.  There was loads of chicken which was tender, and plenty of veg, much of which was onions and water chestnuts.  When I make it myself (and I will, using the recipe on the back) I will add more veg, maybe baby corn and red peppers to give a bit more colour.

From the photo I took, it looks a bit bland but it most certainly wasn't, it was full of flavour and the whole portion was so huge that I had trouble finishing it off.  I certainly didn't need the wholemeal flatbread that I made to go with it (but I did - must have my healthy extra B) and there's no way I am going to be able to manage anything else before bedtime.

I've heard mixed opinions of this dish but, to me, it was lovely and I really enjoyed it although it might be a bit too spicy for some.

So, in summary, delicious meal, large portion, easy to cook - what's not to like? 




No comments:

Post a Comment