Monday 6 May 2019

Recipe: creamed swede

I made this to go with some haggis and it was so good and so, so simple that it's now on my 'make often' again.
Now that we can have two healthy extra As, I don't always manage both and am trying to cut out snacking, so this is a good way to use one.  Swede is a speed food as well so it's a win/win.

Ingredients per generous portion:
some swede, peeled and cut into chunks (speed)
80g dairylea light (one healthy extra B)
salt and pepper
nutmeg

Method:
Boil the swede in salted water until it is soft.  Drain well.
In some sort of zizzer (I used a Nutri-thingy but any blender would work), place the cooked swede and the dairylea and zap it until it is smooth and 'creamy' (it doesn't take long).  Add seasonings to taste - I found it just needed a bit of pepper and a grating of nutmeg.  Pop it in the microwave for a few seconds, if necessary, or just keep warm in the oven if there's anything else to cook.


It works as a side veg or try it with pasta or as a topping instead of mash.  I left a bit of texture in the portion in the photo and it was also very nice indeed.

Amounts are really to own taste so I would suggest adding about half the dairylea first and then tasting before adding the rest.  I like the lot!

And finally, I buy my Dairylea in pots rather than as triangle wedges - it's much better value that way although it's a shame about the plastic waste.  A pot (180g) is just a bit more than two healthy extras (160g)

2 comments:

  1. That sounds really lovely, Joy. I've mashed grated cheese into swede before, but not cheese spread. I do love lots of black pepper in swede. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very underrated vegetable, I think.
      xx

      Delete