Wednesday 22 May 2019

Wednesday, 22-05-19

Good morning.

Re the turkey koftas I had yesterday - very flavoursome but also very dry.  I don't think I will be having them again, not in that form, anyway.  Better to use the mince to make a keema curry or similar.
They looked nice though.


Today is about using up stuff in the freezer - my frugal strategy for today.  I've just braved a rather chilly morning to pop out the the shed and have brought in a bowl of fruit, a chicken curry and some savoury rice.

Today's plans are:
B:  fruit and natural yogurt
The fruit is raspberries, pineapple and cherries and it has to thaw first!  When it's thawed, there's always a nice fruity puddle that mingles really well with the yogurt.
Also, I have discovered that if I add some vanilla bean paste and some stevia to yogurt, you get an almost custard flavour that is really very nice.
SW:  free

L:  syn free savoury rice
. . . to which I might add some fresh cooked onion, pepper and mushroom to up the speed content
SW:  free

D:  chicken curry and runner beans
The runner beans (also from the freezer but cooked from frozen) are instead of rice and I might add some Jersey royals to the curry as I have some and don't want to waste them.
SW:  free

Ss:  water

Body magic:  probably more gardening.  I have to scrape weeds out from between the paving slabs and that will involve bending and stretching and squatting/standing, so I reckon it counts.

I'm aware that I haven't planned in any healthy extras today.  If needed, I will have a bit of snacky cheese, etc and it's nice to know that there's the space for this, if necessary.


4 comments:

  1. Morning Joy, it's lovely here. That's the trouble with lean turkey or extra lean beef mince, it is very dry unless some kind of fat is added, which rather defeats the object doesn't it, if you're trying to go low fat. The koftas do look very tasty, though. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree. A bit of extra fat works wonders for texture, especially if there's no sauce. They were tasty, really nice, but just too dry, sadly. Maybe I could do the same recipe again but cook them in tomato as a sort of meatballs in sauce thing.
      xx

      Delete
    2. I've added grated courgette or carrot to the mixture in the past, to give a bit of moisture....it's not as good as fat, though. Some grated cheese, if you can spare the syns (or use it as a healthy extra? If that's possible, I don't know what the SW rules are) would add some nice tasty fat and moisture.

      Delete
    3. Yes, I could add cheese as a healthy extra or synned, that would be worth a try, wouldn't it? An egg might moisten them too and eggs are 'free'. Worth a go, thanks!

      Delete