Tuesday 21 May 2019

Tuesday, 21-05-19

Good morning!
Yesterday's lunch was very nice.  I made the wholemeal bread myself (using a bag of dough mix from Aldi so it was not as frugal as totally home made but it wasn't bad) and followed advice to weigh the dough out in 70g bits so that when baked it would be 60g (to make a healthy extra B) and that's pretty much what it was.  I rolled the dough out to very flat, pitta sort of shaped and when it baked I had a wider, flatter roll which was perfect for filling.  I baked a few (and froze them) and have frozen the others as dough so I can use them as a proper pizza base, if I want, or as a very flat roll.
I will definitely do this again but making my wholemeal dough from scratch - well worth the effort and extremely good value.

Looks nice, doesn't it?  It tasted great too.



Today's plans:
B:  cooked breakfast
bacon, egg, SW sausage, mushroom - yum.
SW:  free

L:  ham and cheese pizza, salad, coleslaw, apple
 - using one of the bread pizza bases as described above with a home made tomato sauce (the oregano is growing madly now), ham, onion, pepper and mushroom
SW:  one healthy extra B (the base), two healthy extra As (the cheese) and one syn for some mayo to make a bit of coleslaw

D:  turkey kofta kebabs, tzatziki, salad with syn free dressing. yogurt
A recipe from here.  I won't have the pitta, I'll just miss it out.  I probably won't faff around with kebab sticks either, I will just make patties because I'm lazy!
SW:  as far as I can tell, it's free apart from one syn for the yogurt.  Nice!

Ss:  water

Body Magic:  Just a walk.  It was going to be a swim but I have to be home around eight this morning and later on it will be more crowded and I will be busy.

3 comments:

  1. Those Aldi packet bread mixes are very good - taste and value wise. Husband likes the multigrain ones, he adds about another 100g of wholemeal flour to the mix to get a slightly larger loaf or another couple of rolls. The (now deceased) cook Shirley Goode recommended adding extra flour, she said there's enough yeast in the packs to accommodate extra flour and she's right. You do have to add an extra bit of water as well, of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point and yes, I find the generally recipes say more yeast than is necessary. That's why I like those Dove packs rather than the sachets. I( will remember that tip, thanks, Sooze. :-)
      xx

      Delete
  2. Your bread looks great! I'm trying to avoid it altogether at the moment but I do miss a sandwich. I've eaten so much salad in the past week after having three weeks of little gains (0.5 to 1lb).....so demoralising, but deserved. However, the salad overload was worth it as I lost 1.5lb on Monday. Keeping at it this week. I even turned away from the cakes at work today! Onwards and downwards.

    ReplyDelete