Thursday 16 May 2019

Recipe: souffle omelette

(with tomatoes and mushrooms for breakfast)
This is quite plain and very simple, healthy and economical and I thoroughly enjoyed eating it.


Ingredients for one.
two eggs
some mushrooms and some tomatoes
seasoning
spray oil

Method
Prep the tomatoes and mushrooms - I just halve the tomatoes and slice the mushrooms.
Spray a medium pan with fry light, pop in the tomatoes and mushrooms and let them sizzle, turning now and again, until done to your liking.  Keep them warm on a plate in the oven.

While they are cooking, prepare the souffle.  Separate two eggs, whites in one (absolutely clean) bowl and yolks in another.
Whisk the whites until they are firm and fluffy - I use a hand held electic whisk, dead easy.  Then whisk up the yolks until the are pale and bubbly looking.  Tip the yolks into the whites and very gently cut and fold until it's all combined.  It doesn't take very long.
When the vegetables are done and out of the pan, spray it again and tip in the souffle, spreading the top so that it is evenly distributed.  Grind over a bit of salt and pepper.  Cover the pan with a lid and let it cook on medium heat for about five minutes.  Then take off the lid and feel the top - when it's done, it will feel firm.   I popped mine under the grill for a few moments, just to be sure.
Gently fold it over and serve straight away.


You can, of course, add cheese to this but I needed my healthy extras for other things and anyway, just as it comes was lovely.  I reckon I could probably have piled the tomatoes and mushrooms on top before folding in half to make a sort of sandwich thing and I might try that another time.

5 comments:

  1. Yes, as Eileen says, very yummy. I love omelettes, frittatas, whatever, done any which way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Eileen and Sooze. I was surprised how yummy it was, considering how plain it was. A slightly different way to have an omelette.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like an omelette too. I sometimes use them as a kind of wrap for all manner of bits and pieces. Certainly better than the cloud bread I once tried!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ummed anmd ahed about trying cloud bread before realising it wasn't really bread at all!
      xx

      Delete