Thursday 14 February 2019

Instant Pot: cooking fancy rice

. . . specifically Wholegrain Jasmine Rice, Red Rice and Riceberry, bought in M&S
No, I had no idea either, but it looked interesting so I bought a bag to give it a whirl.


I rinsed one cup of the rice and shook most of the water off again before tipping it into the pot.
Then I added one and a third cups of water and some salt, making sure there were no grains of rice sticking to the sides of the pot.

I set the pot to Pressure Cook/ 24 minutes and allowed it to decompress naturally afterwards.

You know what?  It's really, really nice!  A great flavour and texture.  It made three and a half of my portions, three of which are now in the freezer and the half one will be for my dinner tonight, with chilli.

I'm dead chuffed!






I've been looking around for Instant Pot recipes that are also Slimming World friendly and not American in format.  I'm not patient with recipes containing packages of unknown/unavailable ingredients and cups of this, that and the other.
So I've decided that each time I make an Instant Pot recipe that works for me, I'll post it as a separate entry.  It will help me find them more quickly and might help others as well.
I won't steal.  I will post links when necessary and, if I adapt, I will say what I've done.

8 comments:

  1. I'm getting more and more interested in getting a instant pot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very glad I did but I must make sure I plan to use it.
      xx

      Delete
  2. I see a lot of Instant Pot references on Youtube videos. That rice looks fab! I'm popping into M&S tomorrow, I'll have look for it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really nice - I'm so glad I bought it.
      I've not looked at youtube yet - must do so.
      xx

      Delete
  3. Have you looked at the Pinch of Nom website (http://pinchofnom.com/)? A British site run by two chefs who develop slimming word friendly recipes. Several of their recipes give instructions for cooking in the Instant Pot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have, Eileen. I love their site so much - it's been very useful over the last months. The multiple ads and the repetition is a bit irritating but fair's fair, it is a commercial venture and needs to attract ads.
      I'm hoping they will add more IP recipes in the future, seeing as it looks like being more than a faddy thing.
      xx

      Delete
    2. There's also http://www.slimmingeats.com/blog/ who lists ingredient quantities in both ml/gm and/or cup.

      Delete
    3. It's so nice when they do that because, to be fair, I don't do different measures on my recipes.
      xx

      Delete