Friday 22 February 2019

Recipe: bombay potatoes

I've never made this well known curry accompaniment but yesterday afternoon I made a last minute decision to give it a go.  The spice mix I used was from JDSeasonings and if you click on the link you can see what spices are actually in it so when I've used the rest of the mix, I can have a go at making my own!

On the inside of the little sleeve is the recipe and, as I stuck to it more or less, this is what I did.

Ingredients to make 4 portions (I made less)
1 pot of the spice mix
700g poatoes, peeled and cut into good sized chunks
half an onion, peeled and roughly chopped
3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed (I used garlic puree)
1" cube of ginger, peeled and grated (I used ginger paste)
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 tbsp water
juice of half a lemon (I used bottled)
spray oil
fresh coriander to serve (I didn't)

Method.
Boil potatoes in lightly salted water until just tender, drain and set aside
Spray a large pan with spray oil and place over a low/medium heat.  Add the onions and fry gently until starting to brown, then add the garlic and ginger and cook for another minute.
Add the pot of Bombay seasoning, mix with the onions, garlioc and ginger, then add the potatoes, mixing to coat well.
Add the tomato puree, water and lemon juice and cook gently for five to seven minutes, stirring frequently.


It's dead easy and jolly tasty.  For me, it's a keeper.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds lovely Joy, I really like spicy potatoes. Having looked at the link, I also have all of those spices listed, so could make my own spice mix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's absolutely delicious - in fact the whole meal was absolutely delicious and I've had such a good time. I could have paid four times as much for a takeaway and not have got anything as tasty.
      (can you tell, I'm feeling a bit smug?)

      Delete
  2. I love Bombay potatoes, I'll have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you won't be disappointed. And it's SW free too.
      xx

      Delete