Monday 18 February 2019

Instant Pot: making yogurt

I have a perfectly good yogurt maker that gets plenty of use but I thought I'd give the yogurt function a go in the IP (using initials is quicker than typing it all out each time).

There's plenty of advice out there about making yogurt from 'raw' milk, yogurt cultures, gelatine, goodness knows what.  However, I just wanted the simplest way, the way I usually make it.

So . . .
a litre carton of semi skimmed, long life milk
a couple of heaped tablespoonfuls of your last lot of yogurt
. . . is all you need.

A word about the yogurt.  You can use any natural yogurt but I do find that the flavour is different depending on what you use.
I rather dislike the flavour of the cheapest 'savers'-type yogurt and when I used it to make my own, I didn't like the results much either.
My really favourite natural yogurt is Liberte Greek style 0% fat natural yogurt.  I think it's lovely.  Unfortunately, it really isn't cheap.
However, using some to make your own with Aldi's long life semi skimmed takes it down into the pretty frugal banding and the resulting yogurt is just gorgeous (I think).  It's creamy and, if you strain it for a short time, it becomes lovely and thick and so, so good.
(can you guess I rather like it)

Back to the IP
I tipped the milk into the IP bowl,  added the yogurt and stirred it around a bit.  Then I put the bowl into the IP, pressed the 'yogurt' button, added one more hour to be safe (the default is eight hours), put the lid on (no need to pressure seal the lid but I decided to buy an accessory - a glass lid that is fine for anything but pressure cooking).
Then I just left it to work its magic - hopefully.

Certainly, nearly 30 minutes in . . .


. . . it had come up to heat nicely.  The thing counts up, not down



Eight hours down the track (the extra hour wasn't needed) and a half hour strain later and I have two pots of thick, deliciously creamy, mild-flavoured natural yogurt.  If I'd wanted it to be more tangy, I could have given it longer.


Definitely a winner.

I think the big advantage of using the IP over the yogurt maker is that you can make larger amounts of yogurt.  As I get through quite a lot, that's an advantage.
A disadvantage is that it does tie your IP up for long periods of time so you would have to choose your time carefully.  Overnight should be fine though.

As far as SW is concerned, natural, fat free yogurt is free.  It doesn't officially count as a healthy extra A but I'm afraid I do count it as such when it suits me because that's all it is - milk.  I checked and yogurt is still a good source of calcium which is what As are supposed to be all about so I'm guilt free over this (but don't tell Jennifer).


No comments:

Post a Comment